Sunday, June 3, 2012

To convict or to acquit


Guilty or not. It was just yesterday that the verdict on whether to convict or to acquit the Chief Justice of the Philippines has been announced. Finally after weeks of painstaking trial, never ending rebuttals, lawyers on each other’s neck, and a lot of PowerPoint presentations; the Senate after the voting finally declared that the accused was guilty. And for a while there, a lot of people were suddenly so interested in politics. I must also admit that yesterday, I was really so absorbed the same way I was too engrossed in finding out what is argan oil good for.

The Senators were given a chance to vote and a time to justify their respective votes. One senator pointed out why we should complicate simple things, while another one in my opinion was so insistent on the legal technicalities. Both gave their best speeches; although, I don’t really agree with the latter because I believe that morality takes precedence over legality. For me, what happened yesterday brought back the trust in the maturity of the Philippine government. I guess it’s about time for those in the position to sign those waivers, after all there’s nothing to be scared of if you are not hiding anything. Transparency is a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment