Sunday, June 3, 2012

Not-so-American Idol

American stars. The news about Jessica Sanchez not becoming the next “American Idol” has been very viral, trending in social networking sites even after a few days past the finale itself. Events like these where we could also find a lot of frustrated journalists and commentators alike would emerge online and giving out their own opinion about the whole thing. Although I’m a bit late, well I guess it is also okay for me to go all act like a critic about the issue as I am also a great fan of the show myself. Both Jessica and Phillip were incomparable to begin with. As much as I wanted her to win, part of me knew she wouldn’t in spite of her exceptional talent. Why? Let’s face it; the show isn’t all just about the talent but the overall ‘idol’ material and some popularity to it. Makes me doubt the purpose of the competition the same way I doubt Moroccan oil hair benefits at first use. But I think I should also admit that for someone her age, not to mention that she has no American blood at all, she’s just not worth idolizing in the eyes of the Americans. Perhaps in their eyes it’s American Idol, not “American Asian Idol”.

No comments:

Post a Comment